About PeaceofMind Alert
The PeaceofMind Alert system consists of three parts; the personal help button, master unit and the response center. The personal help button is available as a necklace or bracelet, and should be worn at all times by the member. When the personal help button is pressed it will activate the master unit which conveniently plugs into any type of telephone connection in the home. The master unit immediately calls the response center and within seconds our highly trained care specialist will speak to the member over the base unit. Depending on the emergency the care specialist will notify EMS, police, ﬁre or friends and family to let them know what is going on with their loved one. Seniors and their families now enjoy great peace of mind knowing that help will be only a push of a button away.
PeaceofMind Alert is proud to say they only use equipment that is made in the USA and our new master unit is the only system on the market today that’s 100% compatible with all types of telephone connections. Our 911 trained and certiﬁed care specialists are also located in the USA and can assist not only with medical emergencies but also any equipment questions.
Statistics on Falling and the Elderly
Falling and its resulting injuries are an important public health problem for older adults. The National Safety Council estimates that persons over the age of 65 have the highest mortality rate (death rate) from injuries from falls. Among older adults, injuries cause more deaths than either pneumonia or diabetes. Falls account for about one-half of the deaths due to injury in the elderly.
- Among 65 year-old women nearly one in three (30 percent) will fall in their home; after age 85, over half of women will suﬀer a fall in their home.
- Men between the ages of 80 to 84 have a 30% chance of falling at home.
- It appears that for the elderly living at home, 30-50% tend to fall or do fall, female, single, divorced or widowed have an increased rate of falling.
Complications of Falls
The complications of falls are numerous and signiﬁcant.
- Fear of falling can be a very real reason for loss of mobility in the elderly. After a few falls, some people become so frightened and anxious that they will not attempt to stand even when there is adequate help and support. Fractures of the hip or forearm are common results of falling.
- Hip fractures carry high morbidity (health problems related to a disease or condition) because of prolonged immobility, surgical risks and functional disability, possibly related to hospitalization.